How to become a Squarespace web designer interview
I just wrapped up such a fun interview with the one half of the Bucketlist Bombshells, Shay Orlena Brown.
(Is doing interviews like this one my real job? Apparently yes it is. I know, sometimes I'm surprised by it too.)
Together Shay & Cassie make up the Bucketlist Bombshells. The Bucketlist Bombshells is the online destination empowering and teaching millennial women how to build a successful online service-based business that gives them the freedom to travel the world and live creatively.
When I came across the Bucketlist Bombshells on Facebook my first thought was 'no way, is that a real thing?'
Yep, it sure is.
Shay & Cassie teach the gals just like us how to build online businesses and travel the world. (Badass business idea if I've ever seen one.)
After Shay, Cassie & I got chatting in the past couple weeks they asked me to share with their Facebook tribe exactly how I got started, what the processes for running my business look like and allllll the details about my 2 week web design process.
As you will soon be able to tell from the video, we had a blast.
Here's all the questions they asked, in case you want answers to specific questions quick!
- 2:38 What I do intro
- 4:31 The story starting the studio & why I use Squarespace
- 6:21 Would I recommend creating a website for free to gain experience as a designer?
- 8:35 Do I get any objections from clients when they learn I only offer Squarespace website design?
- 10:03 Do I code?
- 11:19 How long did it take me to have a steady flow of work?
- 13:11 How I find clients
- 14:28 How does my 2 week process work?
- 17:21 How long does it take me to build a website?
- 19:35 How do I take payments and send invoices?
- 20:40 Have I run paid social or Google ads before?
- 22:48 How do I create my portfolio pieces that have my work within a mac screen?
- 24:08 How do I differentiate myself from other companies who offer similar services?
- 25:20 Do I recommend WordPress to someone who's just starting off with a smaller budget?
- 26:34 Was the company I was working with a web design agency or an advertising agency?
- 27:40 How long did it take me to be able to make a living off of my business?
- 30:04 How do I come up with topics for my blog?
- 32:04 What are my fav podcasts?
- 33:11 Do I work with a graphic designer or are my clients responsible for giving me images?
- 34:41 Do you have to have .squarespace in your Squarespace URL to have a Squarespace site?
- 36:04 How often do I publish content on my blog and other platforms?
- 37:58 How did I get my start as a web designer?
- 38:50 How often do I update my business website?
- 39:50 Do I offer to update my clients websites for a reduced rate?
- 41:47 Is there a way to transfer the content from a WordPress blog to a Squarespace blog?
- 41:51 How do I manage client design revisions?
- 44:00 What if I make edits to a clients website and they don't like it? Do I duplicate the pages before I make edits?
- 44:41 How do I teach my clients to use Squarespace?
- 45:33 Do I have the same lesson for each client?
- 46:13 Do my clients pick their template or do I?
- 51:10 How did I come up with my pricing?
- 53:15 Am I a part of the Squarespace Circle? How do you join?
- 54:52 What is my favorite part of owning my own web design studio?
- 56:12 How do I screen clients?
- 57:04 How many hours do I usually work a week?
I've seen the inside of their courses, and they take you from A-Z exactly the online skills you'll need to make a living online, and then follow it up with how to start on your digital nomad lifestyle.
Thanks so much for having me for the interview ladies!